Saturday, April 11, 2015

Onion & Bacon Irish Soda Bread

I know that the baking enthusiasts took one look at the title and said Irish Soda Bread is supposed to have raisin and be sweet. This is my savory twist on an Irish classic. I love soda bread and give the Irish a salute the for this great bread. It is quick and I mean quick. It took me 70 minutes to make this loaf of bread and that includes 60 minutes of baking.

As I have said many times there is something about the heavenly smell of fresh bread that brings instant calm and comfort. I also believe in the healing power of fresh bread. Hot out of the oven, nice steamy and warm with some butter melting in the nooks. I have seen spirits lifted in minutes, headaches forgotten about, and people feeling loved. If you have someone that needs some comfort, love and there spirits lifted then make a loaf of this bread and their world will feel better.


The Comfort Food Chef Onion Bacon Irish Soda Bread
Onion Bacon Irish Soda Bread


This is a great bread to start with when learning how to make bread. It is easy to mix and bake with quick results.

Onion & Bacon Irish Soda Bread

Yield 1 large loaf of bread

Ingredients

4 cups of  all purpose flour (or bread)
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
3 strips bacon
1 tablespoon Caraway seeds
1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1-1/2 cups buttermilk or 1-1/2 cups milk and 1-1/2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice (buttermilk substitute)

Preheat oven to 350F

Mix all the dry ingredients together, mix all wet ingredients together, then mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients. form into a loaf and bake at 350F for 60 minutes. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment